Health Director, Department of Health, Katzie First Nations
Location:Pitts Meadow, British Columbia
The Health Director, reporting to the Chief Administration Officer, participates as a member of Katzie First Nation’s senior management team and is responsible for the planning, development, management and leadership of the department of Health. The department of Health is a multi-faceted service area that provides residential services, in-community services, in-home support and one-on-one or group coaching and interaction. Service areas include primary healthcare, home and community care, maternal/child health, health promotion, child and family services, mental health and wellness, family development, addictions, counselling and traditional medicines. Services are provided to Katzie First Nation community as well as many neighboring communities.
He/she will motivate and mentor a skilled health team, and foster reciprocal partnerships with local, regional and national teams. Accountable to Chief and Council and Katzie First Nation members, the Health Director delivers innovative, reliable and high-quality health and wellness services through community engagement and resource management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strategically plan, organize, implement, maintain and evaluate Health department services so that they are culturally relevant, safe and effective. Conduct this in a manner that is respectful of diversity and in alignment with the culture and traditions of the community served.
- Work and negotiate with local and regional partners to identify health services gaps and develop, implement and evaluate new services designed to meet gaps.
- Provide hands-on involvement at all levels of service delivery; deliberately connect with population served and staff to be aware of service barriers, challenges, and successes.
- Coordinate intervention, directly or indirectly, in emergency, trauma and crisis situations.
- Act as a mentor and positive role model with staff and support development of annual work plans. Communicate directly with membership of the community and build laterally kind relationships with all.
- Ensure programs and services are in compliance with relevant regional and national legislation and organizational policy, processes and procedures.
- Ensure reporting standards meet the requirements of funding bodies.
- Ensure reporting to CAO, and Chief and Council is adequate and concise.
- Lead and provide day-to-day supervision (in accordance with the Katzie First Nation organizational chart) of health staff and contractors, including all aspects of human resources management. This includes describing work, recruitment, learning and development planning, coaching, mentoring, sharing of knowledge, capacity building, work plans, and performance management.
- Foster a cooperative and collaborative working environment through team activities, personal leadership and incentives, including the management/resolution of conflicts and the promotion of lateral kindness.
- Proactively seek out diverse funding sources to sustain health and wellness programs, including grants and funding opportunities.
- Act as the staff and community’s “go-to person” for complex and/or unresolved health and wellness issues in a timely manner.
- Ensure Health emergency management, preparedness planning and/or pandemic planning is in place and well communicated for the community served.
- Develop, implement and evaluate culturally relevant and safe policies, processes and procedures, including amendments as needed.
- Ensure financial management of programs and services including all financial accountabilities and funding requirement compliance.
- Manage the budget and financial reports of Health programs and services, including efficient utilization of the funding; Ensure accurate and timely financial and budgetary reporting and audits.
- oactively build and nurture collaborative and respectful working relationships with First Nations in BC, health and wellness partners, and government agencies: utilize these relationships as an avenue to assist KFN in achieving its health and wellness goals and objectives.
- Ensure Chief Administrative Officer and Chief and Council have a base knowledge of community health and wellness issues; demonstrate and illuminate the value of health and wellness programs and services.
- Create, implement, evaluate and monitor Nation-based community health and wellness plans, incorporating input from community and other health system stakeholders.
- A university degree (Masters level preferred) in Human Services, Health Sciences or a related field (e.g., nursing, healthcare management/leadership, social worker, social development or other related degree)
- Willingness to complete the First Nations Health Directors Association Certification Program.
- Minimum 3 years recent and relevant leadership experience working in a health setting including the development, implementation, delivery, monitoring and evaluation of health and wellness programs and services.
- Experience in the development of culturally relevant and safe programs and services, including monitoring and evaluation, ideally with a health and social services focus.
- Experience in the financial management of large programs and services.
- Experience in human resource management including describing work, recruitment, learning, development and career planning, coaching, mentoring, leadership and performance management.
- Experience in collaborative service/program planning, ideally with a health and social services focus, and including monitoring and evaluation.
- Competitive compensation package has been designed to attract organizational leaders.
Please apply in confidence to:
Maxwell Management Group Ltd.
1-855.305.4078 ext. 203
Leaders Helping Leaders … We Welcome Your Valued Referrals!
If this opportunity is not a fit for your background and experience please feel free to forward to any interested colleagues.
We invite interested candidates to submit their resume in confidence. While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, we will contact only those selected for interviews.
If you are an applicant with disabilities and require accommodations, please let us know at the time of our contact so that we may arrange for their provision.
COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW TO APPLY FOR THIS JOB: