The Hellenic Home for the Aged is a not for profit organization dedicated to providing exceptional quality care and services to the seniors in our community that enhance their physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health. By staying at the forefront of our community’s ever-changing needs, our service is second-to-none. Our seniors live in a nurturing environment that respects, enhances and promotes their dignity, independence and happiness. The Home offers a unique cultural setting – one that is proud to recognize the customs and traditions of our residents who are of a predominantly Greek ethnic background – but with a long-standing commitment to provide for the needs of individuals from diverse backgrounds.
The Hellenic Home for the Aged is comprised of two main divisions: Housing and Long Term Care. This includes a 225-unit seniors’ apartment complex, Supportive Housing, Adult Day Program, and two Long Term Care facilities, with 82 beds in Toronto, and 128 beds in Scarborough. Their dedicated staff works with families, volunteers and other service providers and agencies to address and provide for the needs of seniors.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Senior Accountant will be responsible for professional accounting work, including auditing, analyzing, and verifying fiscal records and reports, preparing financial and statistical reports, providing information to Hellenic Home staff regarding accounting practices and procedures, reconciling general ledger accounts; assists in preparing annual departmental budgets; prepares year end audit reports and schedules; trains and provides technical advice to lower-level accounting personnel and performs related work as required.
- Prepares journal entries and reconciles general ledger and subsidiary accounts; prepares monthly financial statements, including distributing monthly revenue and expenditure reports to departments
- Analyzes and reconciles expenditure and revenue accounts
- Assists with the preparation of the annual budgets
- Maintains a variety of accounts and general ledgers; prepare monthly fiscal reports relating to the progress of assigned accounts
- Maintains and reconciles a variety of ledgers, reports and account records; examine and correct accounting transactions to ensure accuracy
- Other duties as required
- University Degree and a Professional accounting designation (CMA or CGA) combined with 5 plus years of related accounting expertise
- Experience with selection, implementation, development and use of computerized accounting/spreadsheet/word-processing/database systems (i.e. ACCPAC, AR,AP and GL Modules, Work and Excel)
- Not-for-profit, long-term-care accounting experience
- Knowledge of budget preparation, fiscal internal controls, preparation of financial reports/submissions and monitoring of revenues/expenditures
- Good organization and communication skills
- Accuracy and dependability
- Knowledge of Social Housing and Long Term Care Legislation
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects with minimal supervision
- A competitive salary and benefits package has been designed to attract star performers.
We invite interested candidates to submit their resume in confidence. While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, we will contact only those selected for interviews.
If you are an applicant with disabilities and require accommodations, please let us know at the time of our contact so that we may arrange for their provision.
COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW TO APPLY FOR THIS JOB:
Oops! We could not locate your form.