Cedarhurst Dementia Care Home is a small and secure residence for people living with dementia including Alzheimer’s. We offer care for a maximum of 26 residents. Each section in the home has six or seven residents, sharing their own kitchen and dining area, with a dedicated personal support worker. The strong caregiving support within each small group allows residents the comfort of their routines plus the opportunity to enjoy flexibility in their day-to-day activities.
Our goal is to provide a nurturing home-like environment, engaging residents through creative, stimulating and meaningful activities that suit each individual’s needs and abilities. Cedarhurst Dementia Care Home is different from most retirement homes and nursing homes in that we do not provide dementia care as an add-on to a more general business. Because we specialize in caring for those with dementia, and our home was built specifically for this population, we are ideally suited to manage their unique challenges.
The Recreational Therapist is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the Recreation Department, including the designing, planning, and implementing meaningful, engaging activities for the residents.
- Designing, planning, and implementing purposeful engagement activities that are interesting and fulfilling to daily lives.
- Ensuring residents are engaged individually and in group settings, and that the activities are reflective of the organization’s philosophy.
- Document and articulate program rationale, goals, benefits and expected outcomes of activities.
- Attend all meetings as requested, including but not limited to general meetings, care conferences, activity meetings, family meetings, and perform duties as requested.
- Completion of recreation documentation including but not limited to general reports, assessments, progress notes, case conference reports, emails, activity documentation, notification of programs and special events.
- Promote a positive team spirit within the department.
- Provide guidance to students and volunteers.