Director of Care (DOC), Registered Nurse – Not for Profit, Long Term Care
About our Client:
The Salvation Army’s flagship Meighen Health Centre is a not-for-profit, faith-based continuum of care, providing a high standard of holistic person-centered health care services to the residents of a 168 bed long term care home and to residents of an 80 suite retirement residence. We demonstrate Christian values and are a transforming influence in the lives of our residents, families, staff, volunteers and the community. We are inspired by our Mission and Values and CARE about the work we do!
The Director of Care (DOC) is accountable to the Executive Director for the overall management of the nursing department and resident care services. Through effective management of all resources in the nursing envelope and development of a strong nursing team, the DOC will ensure the delivery of optimal care and service, based on legislative requirements and the community’s standards.
The DOC is required to perform their duties in a manner consistent with the established core values and ethics, ensure resident safety, and demonstrate customer service excellence while responsible for planning, implementation and evaluation of holistic care programs and services provided to the residents. The programs include nursing, personal care, social work, occupational therapy, physiotherapy and other medical services. The DOC is also responsible for liaison with external agencies/consultants including clinical outreach team, pharmacy, laboratories, local community colleges, Toronto CCAC, physicians, other health care services and providers including acute and long term care.
- Envisions and shapes the long-term vision and strategy of the Care Function to fulfill the ministry’s Mission.
- Manages over 100 direct and indirect reports (staff and consultants) including subordinates at the Director and Assistant Director levels; Assistant Director of Care, Dietitian, and other contracted staff in rehabilitation, pharmacy and chiropody
- This position is responsible for: overseeing the development of individualized resident care plans which are coordinated with all members of the Interdisciplinary Team; budget and financial control of the Care Department; development of policy and procedures that meet existing legislative and regulatory requirements and professional standards of practice; and facility Infection and Control Program.
- This position has authority to: develop and implement care policy and procedures in support of the Manor mission; in conjunction with the Director of Employee Relations hire professional and non-professional staff; and may manage the Manor in the absence of the Executive Director.
- A strategic leader: a member of senior management team in planning, implementation and evaluation of facility-wide quality improvement/risk management activities. Oversees development of reports and attends meetings of the Board. Upon request is the liaison for the CQI/RM Board Committee.
- Attends Administrative Executive Committee and Continuous Quality Improvement / Risk Management (CQI/RM) Board Committee meetings on a regular basis.
- Contributes to Board Executive meetings
Education and Experience Requirements:
- BScN, current Certificate of Registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario and current CPR designation
- University Degree, BScN is essential, Masters in Health Science or related fields an asset.
- Considerable managerial experience providing leadership, decision making and managing change.
- Extensive clinical experience, providing acute care.
- Extensive experience in nursing management in a long term care or continuing care/rehabilitation facility.
- Considerable experience in leading, motivating, training, developing and managing a diverse workforce in a fast-paced customer service orientated environment.
- Demonstrated skill in management, administration and leadership, including the establishment and attainment of goals and objectives, the development of policies and procedures, budget preparation and control, problem solving, conflict resolution and effective human and fiscal resource management.
- Experience in nursing leadership role including program planning, education, critical analysis, union, accreditation and budgeting experience
- Knowledge and familiarity with computer operations and software applications, including resident records, and staff scheduling
- Knowledge of and experience with the Ministry’s RAI/MDS application
- Demonstrated skill in leadership, including experience with setting and achieving strategy, goals and objectives; budget control, problem solving, conflict resolution and effective human and fiscal resource management
- Current knowledge of issues and trends including best practices in nursing and best practices in the enhancement of quality of work life
- Knowledge of current quality improvement and risk management concepts and approaches with special emphasis on infection control, wound management and the prevention of resident falls and medication errors and least restraint policies
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English
- Demonstrated commitment to a resident centred leadership style
- Demonstrated commitment to treating others with respect and dignity
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing professional development
- Must have excellent interpersonal communication skills including the ability to mentor and develop staff
- Commitment to the care of the elderly
- A collaborative team approach with all managers and staff and creating a working climate that is positive and mutually supportive
- Supports the mission, vision and values
- A competitive, comprehensive compensation package has been designed to attract star performers
Please apply in confidence to:
Maxwell Management Group Ltd.
1-855.305.4078 ext. 202
Leaders Helping Leaders … We Welcome Your Valued Referrals!
If this opportunity is not a fit for your background and experience please feel free to forward to any interested colleagues.
We invite interested candidates to submit their resume in confidence. While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, we will contact only those selected for interviews.
If you are an applicant with disabilities and require accommodations, please let us know at the time of our contact so that we may arrange for their provision.
COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW TO APPLY FOR THIS JOB: