The Director of Care (DOC) functions as a member of the senior leadership team and is responsible and accountable for administration and clinical results in the 160 Long Term Care Home. The DOC directs, plans, organizes, supervises, coordinates, controls and evaluates high quality nursing care, therapeutic and rehabilitation services and resources. The DOC is also responsible for the clinical, financial and staff management of the Nursing department and assists in developing department philosophy, goals, objectives, standards, policies and practices and procedures to ensure the highest quality of care.
- Directs and coordinates all resident care including the provision of primary health, advanced nursing care and wellness services to meet the Residents nursing and personal care needs, consistent with the professional Standards of Practice of the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Participates in the nursing services preparations throughout the year for Compliance Review, Case Mix Index (CMI) Review and Accreditation Review
- Directs, plans, supervises, controls and evaluates the Nursing Services, including but not limited to Infection Control, Wound and Skin Care, Staff Education and other specialized resources/programs (Palliative Care, Falls Prevention)
- Serves as the key point of contact with residents, family members and in particular, residents with special needs, exercising discretionary authority to review and investigate all complaints or concerns regarding care quality, care and service practices all associated resident care and comfort issues
- Maintains open access for communicating with residents and families. Initiates immediate action as required. Informs the Administrator, CEO, SLT and Ministry of Health and Long-Term care as suitable
- Participates in clinical committees and committees of management including Professional Advisory Committee; nursing services meetings and Resident Council meetings upon request
- Promotes shared or linked services, programs and inter-agency actions involving community agencies and other health care providers i.e. OTN; BSO
- Is on call for nursing services as required
- Directs, monitors and controls expenditures within established budget parameters, delegating budget planning and management responsibilities as appropriate
- Prepares projections of resource and associated financial requirements for all direct care areas and prepares annual department operating and multi-year capital budgets, including staffing requirements and recommendations for equipment purchases and program supplies
- Directs and ensures that the nursing services administrative practices are conducted in a prudent, productive and efficient manner
- In conjunction with the Human Resources department, ensures the maintenance of all departmental job descriptions, and performance standards are up-to-date as per current and approved procedures
- Ensures that performance reviews are conducted for all areas of responsibility as per HR Policy
- Handles mid-level labour relations issues; ensures that all direct reports are kept regularly informed of policies, practices, procedures and the terms and requirements of the Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Immediately informs the Administrator of any situations or problems that arise that may put the residents at risk, or that stand in the way of completing responsibilities within quality requirements
- Promotes effective communication, liaison, co-operation and co-ordination of quality management services and programs with community agencies and other health care providers
- Develops a human resources plan for nursing services with consideration of the appropriate mix of professional and support staff to meet the needs of the resident population
Health and Safety
- Carries out Health and Safety practices in accordance with Health and Safety Policies and the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario
- In the event of a fire or Emergency will take the lead in the absence of the Administrator
- Ensures that accident and incident reports for residents and employees are documented and acted upon and forwarded to the Administrator and Ministry of Health & Long-Term Care
- Ensures that Public Health Standards are met through inspections, audits and quality assurance programs and through communication with Public Health officials as required
- Participates in monthly fire drills and Emergency Preparedness drills
- Responsible to attend all annual mandatory in-services as required by the Ministry of Health and LongTerm Care, and the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario
- Keeps abreast of current therapies and techniques, take courses where applicable and approved by Administration in order to teach and adapt techniques to meet the needs of the residents or staff
- Maintains current knowledge with current best practices, legislation and regulations of the College of Nurses
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Science in nursing degree preferred or Baccalaureate degree in a related discipline
- Current Certificate of Competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) and Registered Nurses Association of Ontario (RNAO)
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in the management of a nursing department
- Proven record in clinical care management, financial management, organization development, communication and human resource management
- Current knowledge of geriatric/long term care best practice and standards
- Proficiency in computers – Microsoft Office, Word, Excel
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills
- Outstanding organizational skills to manage many competing timetables and responsibilities
- Ability to exercise good judgment, tact and diplomacy
- Empathetic attitude and desire to contribute towards the wellbeing of the elderly
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A competitive compensation package has been designed to attract star performers.
Please apply in confidence to:
Maxwell Management Group Ltd.
1-855-305-4078 ext. 202
Leaders Helping Leaders … We Welcome Your Valued Referrals!
If this opportunity is not a fit for your background and experience please feel free to forward to any interested colleagues.
We invite interested candidates to submit their resume in confidence. While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, we will contact only those selected for interviews.
If you are an applicant with disabilities and require accommodations, please let us know at the time of our contact so that we may arrange for their provision.