This Long-Term Care home is located in the beautiful city of Scarborough, one of the most diverse and multicultural areas of the Greater Toronto Area. It includes some of Toronto’s most popular natural landmarks, such as the spectacular Scarborough Bluffs and Rouge Park. Scarborough has been declared to be greener than any other part of Toronto.
With an amazing variety of activities, the 299 residents in this Home can choose whatever interests them. Seasonal barbecues, monthly birthday celebrations, and the very popular Evening of Elegance – all have live entertainment. The visiting pets program welcomes exotic animals, pottery classes and art therapy provide hands on fun and an inter-generational program brings tots and teens into the home.
Position Overview & Responsibilities:
The Director of Care is accountable for the overall management of the nursing department, resident care services and nursing staff based on quality management, legislative requirements and the organization standards. As a valued member of the team, the Director of Care demonstrates a commitment to the quality of resident care by providing services in accordance with the organization’s vision, mission and values.
- Ensures the Resident Care Mission including philosophy, annual goals and objectives for residents’ care and nursing services are congruent with the organization’s mission statement.
- Establishes, implements, manages and improves standards for nursing care, and policies and procedures for quality resident care to meet individual resident needs and their expectations involving them whenever possible.
- Promotes resident and family-centered care consistent with advances in gerontology while respecting and ensuring sensitivity to spiritual, cultural and ethnic aspects of a resident’s life.
- Facilitates relationships through effective communications between and among residents, relatives, team members and community to supports involvement and participation in care.
- Networks with other long term care organizations to promote continuity of nursing care with other health agencies and community.
- Provides the team members development coordination and uses the educational resources to plan for an effective team member development program including orientation, in-service and continuing education as determined by the learning needs of nursing team members.
- Oversees the management of the RAI MDS Program, including managing RAI Coordinators to ensure RAI MDS program mandate, standards and resident care needs are implemented effectively and the program is optimized.
- Ensures that information obtained by nursing team members is available to the resident care team, resident and family, in a professional manner consistent with organization’s policies and procedures for maintaining confidentiality of information.
- Plans, co-ordinates, directs and monitors the effectiveness of all operational activities within the nursing department.
- Establishes, implements, and maintains an effective quality and risk management system for the nursing department to ensure legislative regulations and standards are met.
- Works in accordance with the organization’s Health and Safety Policies and Procedures and in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Oversees all operational aspects of the community in Executive Director’s absence.
- Registered Nurse with a current certificate of competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario
- 3 years relevant management or leadership experience in health care (long-term care management, head nurse in chronic care or senior management in a health community agency)
- Minimum 1 year of experience working as a registered nurse in the Long-Term Care sector
- A competitive compensation package including a full benefit plan and RRSP has been developed to attract an experienced nursing leader – too many extra perks to mention – please call us for details!
Please apply in confidence to:
Maxwell Management Group Ltd.
1-855-305-4078 ext. 203
Leaders Helping Leaders … We Welcome Your Valued Referrals!
If this opportunity is not a fit for your background and experience please feel free to forward to any interested colleagues.
We invite interested candidates to submit their resume in confidence. While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, we will contact only those selected for interviews.
If you are an applicant with disabilities and require accommodations, please let us know at the time of our contact so that we may arrange for their provision.