Reporting to the General Manager, the Director of Care is responsible for the development, coordination and evaluation of all activities relating to the day to day care of residents. Responsibilities include budgeting, cost control, labour relations and the maintenance of policies and procedures in accordance with licensing guidelines.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops, implements, controls and evaluates departmental goals, objectives, policies and
- procedures in a timely manner and ensures that the required standards are maintained.
- Coordinates the administration of the nursing department, developing organizational systems to reflect the department’s goals.
- Promotes and assists in preserving the dignity and independence of the residents during whatever stage of life they are living.
- Develops necessary documentation and reporting systems and maintains accurate records and communication for the department.
- Maintains department budget control by implementing management policies and procedures for purchasing, ordering and inventory control. Maintain departmental record of equipment, including assessing and recommending the replacement of equipment for budget purposes.
- Interviews and recruits qualified personnel and provides orientation in accordance with the site orientation program in collaboration with Human Resources.
- Reviews employee performance and conducts Performance Feedback Review at least annually; as necessary, disciplines and/or terminates, in consultation with Human Resources.
- Defines duties, assigns workloads and arranges departmental scheduling; authorizes and submits payroll summaries to Head Office every second week for payroll purposes.
- Assesses resident intake request, taking into consideration medical, social and other care requirements. Conducts a pre-admission interview with the prospective resident and/or family member. Selects residents whose needs match the care floor profile.
- Assesses and identifies resident care needs and where appropriate, utilizes the services of other health care providers and agencies to assist in maintaining optimum general and specific care for residents.
- Works on an ongoing basis with the staff and General Manager to ensure that the property maintains maximum occupancy. Responsible for wait list management in accordance with site policies and procedures.
- Responsible for inventory control of supplies and equipment.
- Acts as Chairperson of Pharmacy and Medication Safety Committees.
- Participate in medication reviews with Pharmacy and Physicians.
- Chairperson for multi-disciplinary conferences.
- Attend approved work related conferences and seminars to promote and maintain professional development.
- Develops and conducts effective, relevant staff in-service and continuing education programs.
- Ensures that departmental operations comply with all required Health and Safety Standards and Regulations.
- Maintains liaison with hospitals, the Continuing Care Program, professional organizations and other related agencies.
- Assume other duties as required within the mandate of the position
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing or Psychiatric Nursing
- Clinical experience in geriatric nursing, including care of cognitively impaired
- Currently registered with CRNBC or CRPNBC
- Formal management training from a recognized educational institute or equivalent experience
- Minimum three (3) years of managerial experience
Competitive compensation package designed to attract star performers.
Please apply in confidence to:
Maxwell Management Group Ltd.
Leaders Helping Leaders … We Welcome Your Valued Referrals!
If this opportunity is not a fit for your background and experience please feel free to forward to any interested colleagues.
We invite interested candidates to submit their resume in confidence. While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, we will contact only those selected for interviews.
If you are an applicant with disabilities and require accommodations, please let us know at the time of our contact so that we may arrange for their provision.