Whitby Harbour and the Town’s parks and green spaces offer a cottage-like lifestyle, with an enviable quality of life. The waterfront trail, from Whitby Harbour to Intrepid Park at the Oshawa border, is a major attraction for walkers and cyclists. Well-established neighbourhoods, steeped in history, offer residents everything from great shopping to accessible transit, and an extensive choice of recreational facilities, programs, and arts and culture to suit all interests.
Our client, Sunnycrest Nursing Home Ltd., is located in Whitby, Ontario and has achieved an “Accredited” status, as awarded by CARF every year since their first in 1984 and have been under the direction of the same owners since 1967. Through the years, Sunnycrest Nursing Home Ltd. has completed expansions to two, three-story wings accommodating 136 residents in basic ward (4 beds), semi-private (2 beds), and private (1 bed) rooms. They are proud members of the Ontario Long-Term Care Association.
Residents at Sunnycrest Nursing Home Ltd. enjoy a large wheelchair accessible horticultural patio and gardens as well as an on-site beauty salon, family room, a tuck cart and two large craft / activity rooms. They believe interest and stimulation are essential to our everyday living and is fostered through life enrichment spiritual, recreational and rehabilitative programs.
POSITION OVERVIEW and RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a member of the management team the Nutrition Manager is accountable for all aspects of the Food Services Department to meet the needs of residents and to ensure the effective and efficient preparation and delivery of food and to remain within budgetary constraints while adhering to all MOHLTC and Public Health standards.
- Plans, organizes, directs and supervises the activities of the Dietary Department to provide high-quality food service. Establishes and monitors workflow, evaluates the performance of production, and makes changes as necessary to improve the quality of service. Coordinates dietary activities with those of other departments. Informs administration of activities, needs, and problems.
- Selects, supervises and motivates Dietary staff and monitors and evaluates performance to assure a high level of productivity to ensure dietary objectives are being met.
Establishes and implements policies and procedures.
- Participates in the regular and therapeutic cyclical menus with the Dietitian.
Responsible for development and presentation to resident’s council, all fine dining, special occasions, menus, etc.
- Participates in Interdisciplinary Care Planning Conferences to assess dietary needs of residents and monitor changing dietary needs.
Responsible for ensuring charting on all identified low and moderate risk residents.
- Participate in Committee meetings within the Home.
- Monitors workflow and making changes necessary to improve the quality of service; informing administration of activities, needs and problems as well as coordinating dietary activities with those of other departments.
- Ensuring that policies and procedures of the Department are consistently followed.
- Conducts and completes month-end inventory and month-end reports. Maintains and submits these reports to the Administrator.
- Maintains direct resident contact and involvement in resident care as part of the Interdisciplinary Team.
- Updates Diet Census Sheet.
- Updating Nourishment List and Supplement List.
- Maintains all required records
- Maintains direct resident contact and involvement in resident care.
- Participates in budget preparation and control.
- Procures and receives food and kitchen supplies within budgetary constraints and monitors inventory.
- Performs duties as needed in the Department to facilitate the Dietary operations.
Moderate walking and standing. Moderate lifting, reaching and squatting. Exposure to heat from the kitchen area. Exposure to biochemical agents. Stress related to time, pressure and deadlines. Occasional irregular hours, overtime and on-call.
RESPONSIBILITIES TO HEALTH AND SAFETY:
- Aware of supervisor’s and employee’s responsibilities and follows all Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Works safely to reduce the risk of injury to self, co-workers and residents
- Aware of WHMIS regulated products and takes safety precautions accordingly
- Participates in fire safety demonstrations and fire drills and knows the facility emergency plan
- Diploma in Food Service Supervision from a recognized program
- Current membership in the Canadian Society of Nutritional Management
- Supervisory skills required to manage staff and resources
- Human relation skills to handle interactions with residents, families and staff.
Compensation for the position has been designed to attract star performers.