Our valued client is seeking a:
Director of Care, Registered Nurse, Scarborough, ON
Enjoy working as part of a large team, with regional support and resources. You will value the emphasis put on people within the organization. Ongoing career development, comprehensive training, flexible work arrangements, tuition reimbursement, employee discount programs, mentorship and bursary programs, travel allowance, and one of the top benefits packages within the industry are just some of the perks that are associated with joining this progressive team!
This Long-Term Care home borders the Rouge Valley Conservation area in east Scarborough. Opening their doors in 1968, the community has a unique architecture, making for a very cottage-like feeling. The home is set in a beautiful landscape of natural gardens which grow flowers and vegetables. During the warmer months, residents can enjoy the gardens with family and friends; and in colder weather, the focus turns indoors as residents remain active with a variety of programs and events. The 159 residents have access to restorative care, physiotherapy, and palliative care programs.
The Director of Care leads the nursing department and promotes a philosophy which supports the implementation and maintenance of appropriate quality of life for all residents, while respecting their identified needs and preferences.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Care is directly responsible for the performance, ongoing improvement and development of the nursing services and clinical systems to ensure effective resident care, staff management and maintaining the professional Standard of Practice of the College of Nurses of Ontario. As a valued member of the team, the Director of Care demonstrates a commitment to resident safety by providing quality care in accordance with the organization’s vision and mission.
The extensive support team in the nursing department includes 2 Associate Directors of Care, along with a generous complement of registered and non-registered staff.
- Development and implementation of nursing services and procedures
- In partnership with the Executive Director, implement a comprehensive, coordinated, facility-wide program for monitoring, evaluation and improving quality of care and services, as well as an efficient system for the admission and discharge of residents through effective liaison with appropriate contacts and resources
- Managing nursing budgets and monitoring long-term strategic fiscal plans
- Development of a human resources plan with consideration of the appropriate mix of professional and support staff to meet the needs of the resident population served
- Managing the recruitment, selection, promotion, transfer, training, orientation or termination of nursing staff according to the Home’s policies and procedures
- Oversees the management of the RAI MDS Program, including managing RAI Coordinators with support from ADOC, to ensure RAI MDS program mandate, standards and resident care needs are implemented effectively and the program is optimized
- Ensures staff comply with the Ministry mandated requirements for AIS Proficiency Evaluations
- Provides necessary support to staff in accomplishing their training and evaluation related to AIS Proficiency
- Ensuring the competency of staff by a process of identification, current certification and/or re-certification for the performance of specific nursing skills
- Delegation of clinical and managerial responsibilities to appropriately qualified staff, according to the applicable legislation and standards of the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Ensure positive union-management relations by managing disputes & grievances and assisting in contract negotiations
- Managing WSIB claims and minimize negative impact to NEER statement
- Ensure risk management activities take place to reduce and control potential or actual risks to the safety, security and health of all individuals and to the safety and security of the Home
- Ensure the maintenance of effective liaison and public relations with representatives from the Government, Unions and all other agencies and organizations as deemed appropriate
- Ensuring compliance of Ministry Acts, regulations, legislation, policies and procedures, directives, & collective agreements & complete reporting requirements as needed.
- Assume responsibility for the Home’s operation in the absence of the Administrator
- 24/7 operation, flexibility to work a variety of shifts as required operationally
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor of Science – Nursing or equivalent, current certificate of competence as a Registered Nurse from the College Nurses of Ontario
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support Certification (BCLS)
- Previous experience working as a Director of Care in the LTC sector preferred
- 3 years relevant management or leadership experience in a Long-Term Care Home, head nurse in chronic care or senior management in a health community agency
- Demonstrated planning and leadership skills, ability to solve complex problems, and work under pressure with a high degree of professionalism and diplomacy
- Demonstrated team building and mentorship experience and commitment to supporting and empowering the nursing team
- Attractive total compensation package
- Full benefit plan
- Tuition reimbursement
Please apply in confidence to:
We invite interested candidates to submit their resume in confidence. While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, we will contact only those selected for interviews.
If you are an applicant with disabilities and require accommodations, please let us know at the time of our contact so that we may arrange for their provision.
” Leaders helping Leaders, we welcome your referrals”
If this opportunity is not a fit for your background and experience
please feel free to forward to any interested colleagues.
COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW TO APPLY FOR THIS JOB: